Monday, April 24, 2006

BREAKING NEWS: American People Turning Into Ostriches

Partial transcript from CNN's "Reliable Sources" (4/23/06) on a discussion about the media's lack of coverage on the genocide going on in Darfur, Sudan:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0604/23/rs.01.html
KRISTOF: You know, I must say that newspapers and magazines I think have done a better job in covering this. The people who have really dropped the ball, frankly is television.

KURTZ: And on that point, could that possibly be because the story is kind of depressing? You know, many -- in fact, tens of thousands of people dying and that it's considered a ratings loser?

KRISTOF: I'm sure that's it. But, you know, if we in the media are going to ask for various kinds of special privileges, you know, as we do, then I think we also have to show some kind of special responsibility. And when the "CBS Evening News" last year over the course of the entire year spends two minutes covering genocide while the broadcast networks are averaging 28 minutes covering the Michael Jackson trial, then there is something profoundly wrong.


despite the fact that the michael jackson trial WAS "kind of depressing" in itself, have we really gotten to the point where we're willing to ignore "tens of thousands of people dying" because it's a "ratings loser"?!

disgusting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home