Conversation with White Partner
We join our heroine five minutes into a painful meal-time conversation with 37-year-old White Law Firm Partner.
Partner [frustrated, close to giving up on the conversation]: So......movies! Have you seen any good movies lately?
Dominikimchee: Yeah! I saw "ATL" recently -- it was really good.
Partner: "ATL"? I haven't heard of that one. What's it about?
Dominikimchee: It's about a group of teenage friends growing up in Atlanta.
Partner: Ohhhh! "A-T-L" -- you mean the airport!
Dominikimchee: uh........yes...yes, they were coming of age at the airport.
Partner [frustrated, close to giving up on the conversation]: So......movies! Have you seen any good movies lately?
Dominikimchee: Yeah! I saw "ATL" recently -- it was really good.
Partner: "ATL"? I haven't heard of that one. What's it about?
Dominikimchee: It's about a group of teenage friends growing up in Atlanta.
Partner: Ohhhh! "A-T-L" -- you mean the airport!
Dominikimchee: uh........yes...yes, they were coming of age at the airport.

1 Comments:
First things first, I am 100% pasty white and I find your blog amusing.
Now, it seems that y'all are a bit hypocritical. You don't like that the white girl calls some latino neighborhood "super-sketch." Why? Probably because it is some ignorant stereotype. But, if you's were talking about some stars-n-bars, redneck, plantation town in rural Mississippi, I'm willing to bet you would consider that "super-sketch." It's not necessarily that person demeaning the neighborhood or the people or culture but probably more along the lines of not feeling safe.
Also, you shouldn't be hatin' on all stereotypes when you are promoting some yourselves. I'm white, and yes, I love me some mayo. But I also have some black friends who can eat the hell out some fried chicken.
I guess what you should really be fightin is not whitey, or stereotypes, but ignorance. I'm sure each one of you have unknowingly said some ignorant shit to your white friends and colleagues from time-to-time. Don't act all holier-than-thou.
Post a Comment
<< Home